Friday, January 12, 2007

Ice Monster one post per hour 6PM...............

Tony Gwynn.
#19.
San Diego Padres.
Lifetime batting average of .338.
3141 Career Hits.
8x National League Batting Champion.
5 Gold Gloves.
16x National League All-Star.

Tony Gwynn is the greatest hitter of our time. He is the greatest hitter since Ted Williams. It is awesome to see the Hall of Fame honor placed on him.

I do not remember how I started to like Tony Gwynn. Their is only one player that has been my favorite besides Tony Gwynn. Early on in my life George Brett got notched down of the "my favorite player" honor. The answer to "How?" probably can be explained by what I admire about his playing ability. He is a pure hitter. When I played baseball and even now when I play softball, I have always strove to be the best hitter. In 1984, Tony only struck out 23 times in 606 at-bats. That is unheard of. He led the NL in AB-to-SO ratio in 10 different years. Through all my years of playing baseball, I always modeled my hitting after Tony Gwynn.

A few of you will get this next part. It was an old debate we used to have.
Who would you rather have up to bat in the bottom of the nineth with the bases loaded, two out, down by 3. Frank Thomas or Tony Gwynn? After all the years, I think I win the debate.

Here are some of my Tony Gywnn items. As always, click on the picture to see a larger view.


1982 TCMA Hawaii Islanders minor league card and 1983 Topps rookie card.









A picture of me shaking Tony's hand at a card show with the card I had autographed.









The commemorative card handed out at Tony's final home game on Oct. 7, 2001.









My albums of Tony that I collected as a kid.









Yes, they are all Tony.