Tuesday, May 16, 2006

We are all geeks in some way....... Updated Again

My most prize Star Wars collectible has changed. Up until this time, the #1 piece has been my 12 Back Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi. See my Star Wars Collecting Blog for an explanation of a 12 Back. Do not worry, I still have my 12 Back Obi-Wan. I have something that you cannot find on Ebay on any given day. No, I did not buy it on Ebay. I met the collector that had it through Ebay. I have been working to get this before I was married. Are you ready for it?
I am a proud owner of a Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi Revenge of the Jedi proof card. What am I talking about you say? I will explain for the uninformed. Originally Return of the Jedi was called Revenge of the Jedi. George Lucas says he changed it because revenge was not the way of the Jedi. I am glad he changed it because Revenge of the Sith was the best title of the prequels. Revenge of the Jedi was not changed until late in the production of the movie. Their is a Revenge poster that was released and is one of the most rare Star Wars posters. When Kenner (the toy company) was developing it's toyline for the third movie, it was still being called Revenge of the Jedi. A proof card is a pre-production item. The Kenner employees would print out sample cardbacks to make sure everything was correct for when it went to production. Their are some known proofs that had a bubble and figure attached, but most proof cards had no bubble or figure attached. The title of Revenge was changed before any of the figures went to production. No action figures were produced with a Revenge label. Pre-production items are the only thing available with a Revenge title. Of the Revenge of the Jedi proof cards, 50 different characters exist. Of each of those characters, only 25-40 exist. So, that means I own one of the 25-40 Kenobi Revenge of the Jedi proof cards in existence. Yes, I am a geek.
















PS.... Patience, persistence, and more patience will keep you from buying Star Wars toys at Ebay prices. Of the first 30 figures of the new Saga Collection, I only lacked one figure. Commander Cody. I estimate that he is the second most sought after/rare Saga Collection figure behind Scorch (of which I have two). I went to Wal-Mart last night to get my sick wife some medicine. I took my usual stroll through the toy section and I noticed that they actually restocked the Star Wars figures. This is a shock, because even though our Wal-Mart is new, it's Star Wars selection has not been good. They had three of Commander Cody. I natually bought all three of them. I wanted to open one and keep one in the package. I am not sure what I will do with the third one yet. Offers?

I do own a Star Wars Pez set. I have posted a picture here for you to see. Click on the picture to see a larger view. Just so all you know, I will not refuse any Star Wars items you want to buy me, even if I already own it. Wink wink.