Friday, January 20, 2006

#2: A Devotional: "Reading"..........

"For I don'?t understand what I am doing. For I do not do what I wantÂ?instead, I do what I hate." - Romans 7:15

I like to read. I read a variety of books. I enjoy stories of fiction and real stories of life. I read books that teach me something new or that show me how I need to change. Their is one book that seems to be treated unlike any other book. This treatment is usually not a good one. We claim it's truth and say it is all powerful. It is the sword, but it sees the sun less than most people's socks. Reading God's Word will change anyone's life. It will give wisdom and knowledge. The Words contain the truth about salvation. The truth about the eternity of every single person that will ever take a breath. Christ's life is laid out before us. The mysteries of His return are hinted. Let us not forget the most important thing. It gives us the starting point of having a personal relationship with the creator of the universe. Yes, you and me and everyone on the planet can have this personal relationship. All of this can be discovered in a single Book.

What book are you reading right now? Could you read one sentence a day? How long would it take you to finish? You might have trouble retaining the flow and plot of the story. Not to mention finishing the book in three years. Yet, that is how we treat God's Word. We cop out reading one verse because it has so much that you can meditate on it all day. I am sure that people can meditate on one verse for a day. Do you really?

Remember that forces beyond us are at work. Pick up that Book and read it. Read it in chunks. Get the context. Most of all, grow in you relationship. Read. Read all the time. Read the Bible with as much interest and intensity as you would any other book.