Wednesday, February 19, 2003

The First of Many List........

A while back Dave posted a top five Christian songs for the past 10-13 years. This of course inspired me to conjure up a handfull of top five list myself. My series of top five list will include: Best Bands, Best Songs, Best Albums, Best Song Writers, Favorite Guitarist, Best Album Cover Designs, Best Hardcore Bands, and one bonus category that you will have to wait in anticipation to find out. Yes, I know this list looks extensive. Well, it is. See, there are many really good bands out there and I wanted to include as many as possible. I also wanted to show diversity among bands. Their are bands that are just good in general, their are bands that write that one great song, ones that make great albums that require listening to the whole thing everytime you turn it on, individuals that are amazing writers that can pierce the heart with their message, and I can go on and on. I am sure that many of you will not know or never heard of the bands that I will mention. I have been one to prefer the underground movement of music, scoping out the "coffee house" scene. These picks were hard choices and may even change one day(my #1 will never change!). I guarantee the quality of music in my choices.

List #1: The Greatest Bands of All-Time

Honorable Mentions: I just have to give a shout out to some bands. Narrowing it down to five is tough.
Blindside - Great hard rock from Sweden.
Project 86 - Even if the music sucked(which it does not) Aaron Schwab's writing would still put this band toward the top.
Fold Zandura - AKA Mortal, the best in industrial rock.
dc Talk - They just have to be here, they deserve it.
Shaded Red - Have put out some of the most spiritually fulfilling music I have heard.
Five Iron Frenzy - The best Ska band ever period.

#5 - Grammatrain - The first real hard rock band that Forefront Records signed (Maybe the last). Great music, great songwriting, and great live shows. Discography: Lonely House, Flying, Live in Germany.

#4 - Dear Ephesus - The beginings of Emo Rock as I see it. Back in high school I went to a concert to see the Insyderz and came out enlightened with emo. The only reason Dear Ephesus is #4 and not #3 is because they did not have the longevity that the next selection had. Masterful musicianship and songwriting. Discography: The Consolation of Pianisimo, Absent Sound of Me.

#3 - Plankeye - As I entered into the early Christian rock scene with my friends, Plankeye hit a sweet spot. My friend Kirk just randomly(without knowing what they sounded like) bought The Spark(Plankeye's 2nd album) and we instantly were in love. Discography: Spill, The Spark, Commonwealth, One and Only, Relocation, Strange Exchange, Wings to Fly.

#2 - Common Children - My #1 selection is one of the most underrated bands of all-time, but Common Children is THE most underrated, underplayed, unrecognized band ever. Amazing is what they are. Their second release Delecate Fade is one of the greatest displays of artistry in music. I have felt like I have lived with Marc Byrd's lyrics on many occasions in my life. Shame on you if you do not know the music of these guys. Discography: Skywire, Delicate Fade, The Inbetween Time.

#1 - I do not even have to write anything for the people that know me. They know what band is on the top of my list. This band is the only thing that can draw major bias on all my list to come. You will see them mentioned over and over. They are in included in a very small handfull of bands(Prayer Chain and Mortal are a couple in that handfull) that helped to propel the Christian rock music scene in the early 90's to what it is today............

Drum Roll............

None other than....Poor Old Lu. Discography: Mindsize, Sin, Straight Six, Star-Studded-Super-Step(demo re-release), A Picture Of The Eighth Wonder, In Their Final Performance(they came back), Chrono (1993-1998), The Waiting Room.

Let me know what you think. Give me your list even. Respond HERE.